Thursday, December 21, 2023

Brief observations on Paul Davidson of "Is That In the Bible?"

I love me some Paul Davidson, author of "Is That in the Bible?" (Also u/CaptainHaddock at r/AcademicBiblical. And, sigh, a mod there now, too.) But, Jonathan Poletti, the "Belover" of Medium, the pusher of the Shroud of Turin and other stuff there, on your blogroll? The Poletti who makes up liberal evangelical Protestant dudebro claims about what Jesus believed? Really?

Also, in this piece? I'm more leery of Tom Dykstra than that, though nothing about Mark's Chapter 4 parables impinges on Jesus mythicism, I'll note. OTOH, per my link, one of Dykstra's pieces I criticized was him talking about sources in Mark. (And link rot says it's gone.)

And, linking to the Westar Institute's blog, and also to a decade-old book from its Acts Seminar? Interesting.

Also interesting? Several of the people on his blogroll haven't posted anything in years. One won't load and ergo is presumably defunct. (That said, I got the new Ehrman review from a site that is still posting fresh stuff.) Another blocked me for whatever reason, not human blocking, but internet-mechanical blocking; it said I was blocked. James McGrath? On the conservative side of critical scholarship indeed; I've tangled with him about the origins of the Eucharist and other things.

I don't think Davidson is a mythicist himself. I can't even say that he's a secularist. He is studious when he writes, and in much depth. I don't know that he's explained why.

No comments: