Saturday, January 08, 2022

Top blogging of October-December

Blogging no more than twice a week, I don't do enough here, versus my main blog, to do a monthly top 10 recap.

But quarterly? Earlier this year, I said yes.

So, here we go.

No. 1? My decade-ago calling out of the likes of Brian Dunning and Michael Shermer for engaging in libertarian pseudoscience pseudoskepticism.

No. 2? I pretty thoroughly deconstructed David Graeber's posthumously coauthored new book. (I even more thoroughly deconstructed its political angles at my main blog.)

No. 3? An oldie but a goodie — when I told Tim O'Neill of "History for Atheists" to go fuck off. Many Gnu Atheists have felt that, but from what I've seen, so have a number of other non-Gnus. He's an atheist who strikes me as a Samual Huntington "cultural Christianist," specifically, Catholic division. 

No. 4? What happens when biblical archaeology meets Zionism? Overblown claims that Edom existed, accompanied by hypocritical lies about the chief archaeologists alleged neutrality on historicity of biblical narratives.

No. 5? Something interesting to see trending from more than a decade ago. Is the question of whether or not we have free will (and calling determinism the only alternative is a false dilemma and a poor one to boot) even discussible?

No. 6? John Drinkwater's recent bio of Nero was highly touted for his revisionistic take. My take on Drinkwater is that his take is right ... up to the Great Fire, where he gets Tacitus, Nero vs. Christians, the presence or not of Christians in numbers in early Rome, and related issues massively wrong.

No. 7? This one started trending more after I posted it as a response to a Medium post, and then to Massimo Pigliucci. From 2019, I wondered if the seeming rise of the Nones (though, now, seemingly, that rise has been put on hold by COVID, and other factors show that Pew's religious demographics research seems to have some accuracy issues) said that America would take a path like that of post-WWII Europe.

No. 8? Speaking of? The Nones have slipped, too! My thoughts.

No. 9? A counter to "Tippling Philosopher" Jonathan M.S. Pearce, who seems to, more than once, extend himself too far on critical exegesis, enough to exhibit moderate, though not (yet?) huge, Dunning-Krueger tendencies. This was to counter his claims about Paul's 1 Corinthians resurrection body implying that Paul believed a physical body of Jesus was still in the ground, and related nonsensicalities. 

No. 10? My blunt destruction of the bullshit surrounding the so-called "Beethoven 10th."

No comments: