Tuesday, July 28, 2020

In memoriam Bach's 270th death anniversary

Of course, today, there's only one Bach, although CPE and others are worth listening to as well.

Here's a few items from my YouTube libraries that I find particularly noteworthy, not just for the pieces, but the performing individual or group and their interpretation.

Selected organ works by Hans-André Stamm. Great performances on a fine instrument:



Bach organ music generates a lot of debate, but I like this.

Oboe and oboe d'amore concertos:



There are other recordings of these, but that's the one in my YouTube library.

Bach's magnificent B minor Mass:



In my opinion, you cannot go wrong with Gardiner, whatever outfit he's leading.

Transitioning not just to a specific conductor but a specific outfit for the Brandenburgs:



I first heard them doing the Mozart Requiem, Levin realization, after hearing another group play it live in Dallas.

Finally, one more. This is a slower take than I would always like, but, it's in the hands of a master. The Musical Offering, Jordi Savali.



Introspective, and very transparent, whether I agree with every tempo line or not.

I'm going to offer one more, to show that interpretations of Bach aren't dead and also that there's young 'uns revitalizing classical music in general.

THIS on the storied Passacaglia and Fugue:



A&A is worth a listen on all sorts of classical and non-classical music.

No comments: